"I am not sure my kids will stick with it..."

I hear parents who call me for the first time say this all the time.  Taking private music lessons is a COMMITMENT on behalf of the PARENTS first, then the child(ren).  I always say to a parent, "....your child will NOT be any more committed than you are."

It's very true.  I always recommend parents do as my dad did with 5 children...he made a one year commitment with each one of us, that IF we PRACTICED and PREPARED for our lessons for a minimum of one year, he would rent or or buy us whatever instrument we wanted.  Three of my brothers went on to play the trumpet in school bands and my sister stayed with the piano for 6 years.

All of my siblings can read music and can sing in church choirs and as a result of that one year background they each have a confidence level and understanding of music and the fine arts that they otherwise would not have.

So a commitment talk is imperative if a child is going to take the process of lessons serious.    Through taking piano lessons children learn more than just 'music'; they also learn and cultivate issues in their lives like self-respect, respect for teachers, respect for the arts, respect for starting and finish assigned tasks, they learn that failure is part of the process of growing and learning, they also learn an appreciation for self expression, being able to create their own music and compose.

Frankly, the sky is the limit.  Commitment.  It's worth it.  Involvement in sports is only one facet of a child's total development as a person.  A great Music Education gives a total and balanced 'diet'.

Art Scott

 For more information, see another of my 50 websites and videos:     http://autismspecialneedsmusicbyartscott.blogspot.com/
    (949) 454-1221  Studio Phone   24/7

Popular posts from this blog

Find a Teacher Today Directory

When should you start kids in Piano Lessons?