Parents.....what happened to the good old fashioned days.....

When parents were in charge and they made the decisions - not the kids.

I am amazed how many parents allow the kids to be in charge today and make decisions. Being the eldest of 5 kids, raised on the East Coast, and now with over 30 years teaching experience under my belt, I am disappointed when I run into  a teaching situation where I have to terminate the relationship - because the parents are not in charge.  I love teaching kids but if the parents are not on the same page as myself, it is time to move on.

Humorously I have often said that if children were left up to their devices, they would eat chocolate bom boms, watch TV and play computer games.  Where was the turning point in our society where parents became more worried about being a child's 'friend' rather than be their parent.

I am grateful that the wonderful parents who employ me , some for as many as 8 years consecutive and each family has gone through several funnels to get me to stay as their teacher.   Anyone can write a check but it takes a real live parent, in charge to help a child along the journey of taking lessons and be committed to help a child progress.  This sometimes means that a parent will sit periodically and monitor what a child is doing and making sure a child gets their lesson fully prepared for their next lesson.

We live in a day and age of supposed entitlement - where people believe they have the right to say or whatever they want - and the fact that they have money gives them the right to hire and fire folks with no respect or regard for the professional and individual.

About once a year I come across folks who think they can still hire slaves....that lasts about two minutes with me...this is why I post an elaborate website and  a blog because if parents do not like what I say here in this informational environment, it is not even worth booking a first appointment.

However, if a parent likes and agrees to my philosophy of not only teaching music, but they happen to a be a good parent, this is beginning of a wonderful relationship that will last for years. 

Best wishes, Art Scott   musicbyartscott.com   (949) 454-1221 

Popular posts from this blog

Find a Teacher Today Directory

I Wish My Mom had Never Let Me Quit...

Selecting the Right Teacher is Crucial