Teacher Burn Out?

Many times a young person will study with a teacher for several years and for one reason or another, progress just stops.  It is very easy to cross over that grey line where a student teacher relationship stops having the professional distance which is so important.  

Students should respect their teacher and parents should instill this respect from the start of lessons.  When the respect for any teacher diminishes, then it may be time to secure a new teacher.

I know that I only had the privilege of having two major teachers at the piano who influenced my life and career greatly; Mrs. Faye Johnson and Mr. David Ehrman.

My respect for these precious teachers and musicians is immense.  I remember only one time in college where I was not fully prepared for my lesson and I called Mr. Ehrman from a pay phone and cancelled my lesson; I was almost in tears and was so shaken to have to call him that it never happened again.  I so admired this dear man who had poured his life into mine and so cared for me and helped me develop my talent tremendously .  I simply did not want to waste his time being ill prepared.

I put myself through college teaching piano and it paid all my bills.  When I was sixteen and had finally worn my mother down and she relented and after 8 years, cancelled my piano lessons with Mrs. Johnson, this dear teachers last words to me were "tell Artie he should be a piano teacher".  

This affirmation established my career for the next few decades and has afforded me immense pleasure and satisfaction.

So if you sensing that your child is burned out, no longer respects their teacher, by all means try out some new teachers and find that special one that will make piano and music  come alive to your young person.

Art Scott   www.MUSICBYARTSCOTT.com


Popular posts from this blog

Find a Teacher Today Directory

I Wish My Mom had Never Let Me Quit...

Selecting the Right Teacher is Crucial