A Student should ALWAYS be involved in choosing....

 For more information, see another of my 50 websites and videos:     http://autismspecialneedsmusicbyartscott.blogspot.com/
    (949) 454-1221  Studio Phone   24/7



I loved my first piano teacher, Mrs. Johnson.  I owe her an awful lot in that after eight years of private lessons, I finally 'wore my mom down' and she let me quit....although she was a brilliant teacher, I admiringly have developed my own style of teaching children and the one primary thing I do vastly different is I do not go page and page in piano method books...rather, I turn the selection process into a game similar to Jeopardy....door number #1 - 2 - 3 and sometimes even 4.  Depending on the child, years of study and level of accomplishment, these choices may include a classical piece, a jazz piece, a Disney piece, etc.  I give them 10 seconds to make up their mind....and the look of excitement on a child's face when they get to choose the piece is worth all the gold in China....or somewhere...My standing rule though is once you have selected the piece, there is no changing....so choose carefully.

Sometimes get regret the piece they choose because "it's HARD".
I don't fight them on this - I agree with them it is hard - sometimes it's hard to even wake up in the morning....but we all grow as a result of accomplishing a 'hard' piece.

I sometimes will even role play with the kids and pretend to be them and wine and complain so they can see how silly the look when they behave this way.

Someone once told me that to be a good piano teacher you are not just a musician who is teaching, but over the years you become an arm chair psychologist of sorts.

Send me your questions and concerns, I am happy to interact with anyone on the subject of piano teaching, children, musician education, etc.

Come back tomorrow....and tell your friends to visit our new, exciting site.

 For more information, see another of my 50 websites and videos:     http://autismspecialneedsmusicbyartscott.blogspot.com/
    (949) 454-1221  Studio Phone   24/7

Popular posts from this blog

Find a Teacher Today Directory

"I am not sure my kids will stick with it..."

When should you start kids in Piano Lessons?